Weyhill, Andover, Hampshire Sp11
An impressive apartment within a converted Grade II* Listed Georgian mansion set in attractive communal gardens and grounds extending to approximately two acres
An impressive apartment with accommodation arranged over the ground and lower ground floors, within a converted Georgian country mansion featuring a magnificent drawing/dining room. Ramridge House is Grade II* listed and was originally built in 1779 and extended in 1855. It was extensively modernised and refurbished in 1986 when it was converted into nine luxury apartments, carefully restored by craftsmen to retain much of the original charm and period features. There is a recently installed electric heating system and the current owners have also redecorated and fitted new carpets throughout. The accommodation of this spacious apartment includes a private entrance hall, magnificent drawing/dining room (originally one of the main Georgian reception rooms) with fireplace, ornate ceiling and three full height south facing windows enjoying views of the gardens as well as a refitted kitchen/breakfast room. On the lower level there is a master bedroom with en suite bathroom, a second bedroom and shower room. The study area could also be divided to provide a third bedroom, if required. There is a garage in a block and landscaped gardens of approximately two acres surround the property. An attractive feature of the apartment is the wonderful high ceilings, in particular the intricate drawing room ceiling, together with the ornate plasterwork, cornicing and deep skirting boards.
Agent’s Note: The property has recently been fully redecorated and new carpets fitted throughout. There is no onward chain.
The property is in a parkland setting, approximately one mile from Weyhill. The property is famous for its fair which was held annually on Old Michaelmas Day (10 October). The fair was the largest and one of the most celebrated in England, lasting a week. It was in fact the coming together of a number of fairs, the largest being the Sheep Fair, and it is believed that as many as 500,000 sheep were on the hill in just one fair. The Horse Fair was renowned for the Irish Hunters sold there, and for the Hopgrowers this was the greatest event of the year.
The village offers everyday facilities including an excellent new garden centre with restaurant nearby, church, garage, ‘Pink Olive’ restaurant and two public houses. The A303 is close at hand providing excellent road access to London and the West Country. London is 75 miles and Andover, with its mainline railway station is just 3 miles away with regular trains to London Waterloo in 75 minutes. The cathedral cities of Salisbury and Winchester are both within approximately 20 miles, as is Basingstoke. The South Coast is approximately one hour distant.
Stone steps leading to pillared entrance with large panelled front doors leading through Reception Porch to Main Reception Hall with intercom security system. Hardwood panelled door leading into:
PRIVATE ENTRANCE HALL Ceiling light point. Panelled doors with ornate architrave into drawing room and kitchen/breakfast room. Further panelled door into:
CLOAKROOM Fully tiled walls and floor. White suite comprising wash hand basin with central mixer tap set in stone effect sill extending to one side. Low level WC with concealed cistern, full height bevel edge mirror above with light over. Electric radiator. Extractor fan.
MAGNIFICENT ELEGANT 30’ x 20’ DRAWING ROOM Extremely spacious room providing living and dining areas. High ceiling with elaborate plasterwork, cornicing and central rose, ideal for a chandelier. Three impressive full height twelve pane sash windows (south facing) with hand-made antique pine folding shutters allowing fabulous open views over the landscaped communal gardens and box parterre/knot garden in a ‘Union Jack’ design and beyond over rolling farmland and countryside. Central fireplace with inset coal effect gas fire, raised hearth to front, surround and mantel. Original Georgian mirror (with original glass, not from Ramridge) over fireplace. Decorative dado rail. Three wall light points. Three picture lights. Four double radiators. Large attractive cast iron spiral staircase descending to the lower ground floor.
KITCHEN / BREAKFAST ROOM Modern and well appointed comprising a stainless steel sink unit with mixer tap and drainer to side. Range of cream fronted high and low level cupboards and drawers with contemporary chrome handles. Ample butcher block oak effect work surfaces with decorative ceramic tiled splash back. Built-under stainless steel oven and grill, five ring stainless steel gas hob over with stainless steel/ glass hood housing extractor fan and light above. ‘Samsung’ stainless steel fridge/freezer. Stainless steel effect washing machine and dishwasher. High ceiling with coving. Two pendant ceiling light points with contemporary fittings. Oak effect flooring. Full height twelve pane sash window to front aspect (with hand built retractable shutters) providing views over the driveway and gardens to farmland/woodland beyond. Space in front of window for small breakfast table. Upright heater. Large full height double cupboard, housing electric boiler providing domestic hot water and central heating, shelved cupboards above providing comprehensive storage.
Descending spiral staircase opening directly into:
STUDY (Formerly partitioned off to create a third bedroom) Beautiful solid limestone tiled flooring with inset slate in Georgian styling concealed beneath new carpet. Small pane glazed double doors to southerly aspect giving access onto the patio and steps ascending onto the communal gardens. Dado rail. Double and single radiator. Panelled door into:
HALLWAY Limestone tiled flooring concealed beneath new carpet. Ceiling light point. Panelled doors to bedrooms and shower room.
MASTER BEDROOM (Double bedroom) Central ceiling light point for a pendant light fitting. Small pane glazed double doors (southerly aspect) providing access onto patio and communal gardens. Limestone flooring concealed beneath new carpet. Dado rail. Double radiator. Panelled door into:
EN SUITE BATHROOM Well appointed and featuring four claw roll top bath with mixer tap to one end with hand held attachment and wall mounting. Wash hand basin. Arched recess with bevel edge mirror, glass shelf and two lights. Low level WC. Glass display sills. Limestone flooring concealed beneath new carpet. Halogen ceiling down lighters. Extractor fan. Upright heated chrome towel rail/radiator.
BEDROOM TWO (Double bedroom) Large window to rear (southerly) aspect. Limestone flooring concealed beneath new carpet. Dado rail. Pendant ceiling light point. Radiator.
SHOWER ROOM White suite comprising ‘Sottini’ wash hand basin with ornate central mixer tap, mirror, sill and light above. Low level WC. Bidet. Glass door into large mosaic tiled enclosure housing shower with overhead and hand held attachment. Limestone flooring concealed beneath new carpet. Halogen down lighters. Extractor fan. Heated towel rail/radiator.
Landscaped gardens and grounds of approximately two acres
THE COMMUNAL GROUNDS Ramridge House stands in its own peaceful landscaped gardens and grounds of approximately two acres which are mainly laid to lawn with many mature trees including a Cedar of Lebanon and Blue Spruce. Ramridge House is approached through two gate houses via a long sweeping gravelled driveway leading to the impressive front entrance where there is ample parking for residents and visitors.
SMALL PRIVATE TERRACE AREA Immediately behind the apartment and accessed from the master bedroom and study, there is a narrow paved patio area providing an attractive place to sit and enjoy the southerly aspect. Brick steps with iron hand rail to side rise to the main communal garden. Arched door leading into:
PRIVATE CELLAR / STORAGE AREA Providing secure storage. Lighting.
GARAGE (in block) Brick built with pitched roof and up and over door.
Mains electricity and water. Private drainage. Note: No household services or appliances have been tested and no guarantees can be given by Evans & Partridge.
Leasehold with a ninth share of the freehold. 999 year lease begun in 1987 at a peppercorn rent.
We understand that the service charge amounts to approximately £3,000 - £3,500 per annum. This figure covers the following:
* Building Insurance
* Boiler Maintenance (in all apartments)
* Gardener and Garden Expenditure
* Building Repairs
* Outside Window Cleaning
* Audit Fee
* Electricity for Common Parts
* Contribution to Ramridge Drive Fund (from all apartments)
* Water Rates and Charges (for all apartments and common parts)
THE HISTORY OF RAMRIDGE HOUSE
Ramridge House is a particularly fine example of a Georgian country mansion originally built in 1779 in the style of Robert Adam (1728 - 1792). It is listed Grade II as being of special architectural and historical interest. Built of red brick on upper and lower floors, the house was extended by the continuation of wings in 1855. The site on which Ramridge House stands has a known history dating back to 1043, when the Manor of Ramridge was owned by Edith, Queen to Edward the Confessor. The manor was seized by William the Conqueror and bestowed on the Abbey of Grestein. They in turn sold it to the De la Pole family. In 1437 it was given to the 'House of God' at Ewelme, who, now known as the Ewelme Trust, continued in ownership of the freehold until it was requisitioned by the Air Ministry of War in 1939 and became RAF Ramridge, a Group Headquarters.
The history of the present house starts in 1779, when the land was teased to John Gawler, a wealthy lawyer, who commissioned a Robert Adam style house to be built, Ramridge House. Of particular note is the finely worked ceiling and cornices in the main salon, now fully restored and forms the principal room in one of the apartments (Number 4). Although there is no direct evidence, it is generally believed that the formal grounds were so ingeniously landscaped as to be almost certainly in the style of Lancelot 'Capability' Brown.
In 1855 the lease came into the possession of a Matthew Henry Marsh MP for Salisbury, who added the two wings in matching materials and Sympathetic style. In the late 1800s the house came into the possession of Colonel Charles d'Oyly Harmer, whose descendants inhabited the house for several generations until it was requisitioned in 1939. One of the interesting features added by Charles Harmer is the Union Jack flower garden which, now restored, was originally planted by him in 1900 to both celebrate safe passage into the Twentieth century and as a mark of patriotism at the time when fighting in the Boer War was at its most bitter.
During the Second World War, Ramridge House became a Royal Air Force Headquarters and Officers' Mess. As a relic of those days a fine wall mural of a Spitfire still exists, which was painted by Flying Officer W T Orr. This has been protected and is incorporated in the bathroom of one of the ground floor apartments. When the RAF relinquished the building in 1957, it was bought by a local farmer and leased to a local furniture store who used it as a repository until 1986 when it was converted into nine luxury apartments.
POST CODE: SP11 9BY. From Stockbridge proceed in a northerly direction on the A3057 passing through the village of Leckford. On reaching the edge of Andover, turn on to the A303 and continue for approximately two miles to the second exit, signposted Weyhill. Bear right at the roundabout, crossing over the dual carriageway, taking the next left at the next roundabout. Continue past the garage on the left hand side and take the next turning on the right hand side leading to the church. Continue down to the junction and cross straight over. The entrance to Ramridge House will be found approximately half a mile on the left hand side.
VIEWING STRICTLY BY APPOINTMENT WITH EVANS & PARTRIDGE
Tel. 01264 810702 www.evansandpartridge.co.uk
1. These particulars are set out as a general outline only for the guidance of intending purchasers and do not constitute, nor constitute part of, an offer or contract. All statements contained in these particulars as to this property are made without responsibility on the part of Evans & Partridge or the vendors or lessors.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permissions for use and occupation, and other details are given in good faith and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact, but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them.
3. No person in the employment of Evans & Partridge has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property.
Evans & Partridge is the trading name for Armstrong Partridge Limited (Company no. 10437262)
Registered in England at Agriculture House, High Street, Stockbridge SO20 6HF